Music


Locations of Site Visitors
Life has definitely taken me to places I never thought I would go to....but nothing more exciting than where I am right now! Welcome to my world...


Thursday, August 23, 2007

My UFO's and MIP's.....





Since I taught scrapping on Wednesday, and helped three girls do their prep work for the tesselation quilt class I am teaching on Sat...day after tomorrow...., haven't had much time to sew on my projects...but did finish a quilt last week....made from some scrap fabric I found in the reject bins at the local fabric store.The only problem is that I didn't have enough fabric to make it a bed quilt...so I improvised!Just a bit. It was wild fabric anyway...so add a little more to it.....then its big enough ....doesn't really matter if it is wild to me. At any rate finished it last week...and have almost finished another bed sized one.....I have always been a quantity /over quality type of girl anyway....as my family can attest to! Using just my leftover scraps from a quilt I made my daughter in law.....and out of the really small bits of red and white schwe-schwe fabric, I plan to make at least one more small 9 patch quilt...hope it will be double sized! That one is on the planning board ...er....paper ....as we speak. Had to share the news....but haven't taken a photo of either one yet. will get them this week...and if lucky, will finally finish the lavender and green tesselation one started earlier this year...yes it is from scraps too...another UFO project from a friend...which I cut into squares and did a small 50 in. or so tesselation quilt center out of. It is going to be my Demo /cutter for the tesselation class. But I digress.... I want to explain to those non quilters...that a UFO is an Unfinished Object...in United States Quilt speak....however, here in South Africa, they call them MIP's....Masterpiece In Progress! I love that, so will be teaching South african slang, when I return to the States. I am sharing a photo or two of the latest projects, a handquilted quilt I just got a few weeks ago from my handquilter. She is working on another one, which I think is far prettier. Can't wait to get it back. This large navy oversized queen quilt with leaf applique is called My African Vine, since I used the traditional geometric prints that most domestic/rural folks make their clothes out of. I asked all friends to donate scraps of their Schwe-schwe fabric, so it has many different patterns....but similar colors.It was a take along on trips,in car,while waiting to have my car washed...project. The lovely ladies holding up the quilt for me, are my some of my neighbors maids, Dorothy and Beauty. I need to start a new take along quilt soon...but at the moment am working on a hand appliqued Baltimore Quilt in Autumn shades.Many fabrics purchased at the fabulous Fabric mart in Taegu South Korea!Love that place, sure hope Jen is scoping out a box of replacement fabric for me! The other quilt is unfortunately the stolen one, the photo is of Noluthando, my hand quilter, quilting it before the stinking burglars took all my stuff. So if you ever spot this quilt, I look every time I'm driving to see if it is hanging on a clothes line or fence.... it is mine, and is labeled on the back! I loved that quilt. Had to share a photo of it. The reward wasn't enough to get it back unfortunately for me.

No comments: