Music


Locations of Site Visitors
Life has definitely taken me to places I never thought I would go to....but nothing more exciting than where I am right now! Welcome to my world...


Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Baboons by the roadside....

Since coming to South Africa 3 yrs. ago, there have been several invitations to speak to local/not so local groups, as "the American". Today, was one such occasion, as I was invited to speak to a Garden Club. I spoke about Texas, and some of my stateside Ladies club traditions...like passing candy when you are sharing good news or secret sisters sharing gifts secretly for a year. The presentation went well, I was able to show a couple of quilt projects I am working on, and some scrapbook pages...as well as a Texas Style Baby Door badge. I also made some money for a Rotary project I am working on, but it was the drive back that was fun! It is about a 70 Kilometer drive, and during the first ten K, there must have been about 45 Baboons along the highway, they were sitting by/on the road....until I got quite close, then would run off toward the fences along the roadside. What was wierd was that I decided to try to slow down and get a Photo of them...as the babies were too cute! But when I slowed down to a crawl, they ran past the fence and into the brush, no idea why? They didn't seem to mind me driving by at a normal speed, but paniced when I slowed down. Hate to think that people may slow down...and hurt them/hunt them for supper???? I can tell you that there is not usually a lot of "road kill" left out on the roads around here....the Road Crews ...eat very well.....as disqusting as that may sound! But these baboons were too cute....and so many of them. I am going back to speak to another group next week...and maybe I will get lucky and get a clean shot...er...I mean a picture, of course!!!!

No comments: