Music


Locations of Site Visitors
Life has definitely taken me to places I never thought I would go to....but nothing more exciting than where I am right now! Welcome to my world...


Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Finally got some quilt photos...Orphan and stash busting...




Well, the color isn't great...they seem washed out...but I at least can show I HAVE been doing something! This started at my "Craft" group when a basket of Orphan blocks was passed around. These were not pieced squares..but literally cut squares.I chose after everyone else had picked. But the blocks were heavier curtaining, and 7 1/2 " or less. I decided to add them to cream,then set them in the simple grid,added more fabric scoured from the "garbage" bins that some other quilters had donated to our group, will bring home to the States next month...with enough of the dark burgundy scraps to make as big as I need to finish. Have also, finally finished the center of my tesselation... made from my stash...of leftover scraps! Have no idea what to do now, since I did use scraps???? Will think on it. Then, have been trying to work on my Baltimore blocks....so have a photo of those....as well. I have a close up of the rose wreath, definitely the most challenging one I have done thus far.Man my old camera must have some damp inside the lens.It is blurry just in the corner.shame the burglar stole the good one of our old digital cameras! But you get the idea, We have an all day Baltimore class this weekend, to decide how we are going to proceed with our squares. I am hoping to find a couple of nice blocks...I am pretty much doing my own thing now, not necessarily what the other girls are doing.I think I have more time in the car maybe, for handwork???? Figure I will try to take several blocks with me when I go to the states..as I will be spending hours in the airport waiting for flights...just can't take scissors...a royal pain...when doing cutaway applique! I have to get going on these projects I know.Time is flying this week. The weather has turned wonderful...spring is definitely here in the mountains....of South Africa. I am so ready....actually haven't had to wear a jacket too many times the past week. There is a huge cricket tournament going on now....called the World Cup 20/20 and I ADORE cricket! Just hoping I don't get sidetracked in front of the telly too much! Not good for my sewing habit!

2 comments:

Lauren The Artist said...

Your baltimore looks amazing!! I cannot wait to see it all finished and amazing. The other two look pretty nice too. I should go through my stash and see if I can find any greens and purples to send in your next FlatRate Mailer box.

~jen~

Finn said...

Hi Colleen, the orphan squares look just wonderful! No one would even know that they were discards unless you tell them.
Working from scraps and unwanteds is in the "best" quiilting tradition of many countries.
Regarding your second project pictured...if it's the size you want, you might consider something dark at the edge to 'stop' the action. And then you could add a border of pieced half square triangles or some such thing.*VBS* You're doing great with working from your scraps. Hugs, Finn