Music


Life has definitely taken me to places I never thought I would go to....but nothing more exciting than where I am right now! Welcome to my world...


Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Me and Shaka Zulu the Big Pineapple and "Burning down the house!"






Here are some lovley high school girls wearing their school uniforms. They were in line behind me at the Post office in South AFrica when we still lived there. Had to post a photo of me and Shaka, taken in front of the Elengeni Sun Hotel in Durban, South AFrica. He was a tourist "attractioin". But what a funny guy, and he did enjoy having his photo taken. And the Big Pineapple, located at the Pineapple farm near Bathurst South Africa, This pineapple is three stories high...with homemade Pineapple items on the ground floor, and almost a mini museum of photos and pineapple growing paraphanalia. It was so much fun to visit. It is located in the Eastern Cape Province of South AFrica, a bit of a drive from Port Elizabeth South AFrica. We had spent a lovely weekend at a beach house of friends, at Canon Rocks. Equally gorgeous. Good times and memories and one of the things we miss so much...the wonderful fresh pineapples from South Africa. But the real reason for my post is yet ANOTHER almost burning down the house...and for those of you who know me, no, this time didn't involve making french fries, or forgetting boiling eggs on top of the stove until they exploded! All over the ceiling, counters and cabinets in the kitchen. No, not this time.....but I did put on a pan of potatoes to boil for Potato salad...about 11:30 AM.... and then the PRofessor did come home about 12 and remind me we had dentist appointments in a small town about 3o minutes away...so we headed out the door.... sat in the waiting room, before we both had a dental checkup... and teeth cleaning...visit with the dentist.The professor needed a filling...and I needed way more than that...but it ended up being a consultation for WAY more.... we hit our home town about 3 and decided we were hungry...so stopped for a bite. And as we stood waiting to place our order, it hit me, .....er.... "had I turned off those potatoes?" Well the professor has been married to me for a long time, and lived through a small fire or "near" fire incident enough..that he just said to me, "Oh, crap, lets go !!!!!" So we drove as quickly and safely to our neighborhood.... and as we rounded the curve, we didn't see any firetrucks in the driveway....and I couldn't see smoke billowing out of the windows. We didn't hear the snoke detectors going off , so I ran to the door and threw it open...only to be hit in the face with a disqusting burnt food smell.... the pan was smoking...no water, potatoes burnt at leasts 1/4 the way through... so I grabbed the pan, and we took it outside .... but let me assure you, that the smell of burnt food is still there. In fact, I opened windows today, and turned on the attic fan...to suck in clean air...all day while I was at work. The Professor suggested ...burning candles.... now is that really what you suggest to someone who almost burned down the House!?????? I instead turned on the electric candle warmer...ooops almost forgot...it is still on. Until later!

10 comments:

Micki said...

We are definitely kindred spirits. I can't tell you how many times that I did that in the past....so many that Joe will always check the oven before we leave, as he doesn't trust that I remembered to turn it off....I do empathize with your drive home. We had several like that!
Micki

The Jen said...

I remember that pineapple postcard. The kids LOVED that you saw Spongebob's house. & I'm really glad your potatoes didn't burn up the place.

Karan said...

OOPS! Glad it wasn't any more serious than a pan. I did that with stewed apple the other week - it killed the pan 'cos it just won't clean off! Fab pics again. :0)

A Thousand Clapping Hands said...

Thank you so much for your visit! I have been looking at all these quilt artworks on your blog and they are so beautiful. It is fabulous that you pass this knowledge on.
All the best,
Catherine

Annie said...

Oh my, Colleen,that was a close call. So glad the damage wasn't worse than a smelly house.

Love the posts about S Africa.

: )

Libby said...

Oh it's a good thing you only ended up with burnt food smell *whew*

maggi said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. What a colourful adventure yours is. Thank goodness it was only the food that burnt.

Margaret said...

It must be dentist week, I had a bite of chewy caramel and thought , that feels strange and sure enough half tooth missing. What a disgusting smell burnt food leaves, ugh!. hope everything is back to normal.

Leah/ Texas/ United States said...

thats a cool pineapple building, it made me smile. i also like your photo of s africa the one with the giraffes, i think they're my fave animal, and i liked the photo in s korea of the three kids sitting on the curb in front of the cafe reading brochure/maps, so cute! you have very calming music by the way. thank you.

Gail said...

Sounds like something I would (and have) do. Well, not with potatoes but the tea kettle melted and caught on fire once! I keep the smoke alarm batteries fresh!