Music


Locations of Site Visitors
Life has definitely taken me to places I never thought I would go to....but nothing more exciting than where I am right now! Welcome to my world...


Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Quilts for Africa, Warm Feelings and being Blessed and more ...





When I left Africa about 15 1/2 months ago.... I thought it would be like most moves.... YOu leave, then slowly but surely your new home takes over your thoughts...but I find that hasn't exactly happened. I am not sure if it was because of the caliber of ladies whom I felt privileged to call my friends...or just because I did volunteer work with them, and had no close family or job to distract me. I love these ladies because of their wonderful hearts.... never thinking anything is too big to get accomplished, or not important enough to do. I have to post this photo...as of course ..being a quilter, and living there for 4 years, I did accumulate a stash. I had to leave much more behind than I was able to bring back with me.Just before I left, a dear lady donated some more fabric to me, so I bequeathed them to my dear quilting ladies. Well, they have outdone themselves. They made 24 quilts...with the bits and pieces and have delivered them to the Komani Hospital in Queenstown South Africa. The email and photo I received said they were snatched up, by the long term patients there. More will hopefully be made in the future for the rest of the mental health patients there. They live very sub-standard with little more than a bed in their rooms, and It is very cold there at the moment, so I know they were appreciated. How could I not be nostalgiac for these dear, caring ladies. And I am so privileged to have known them, even for a short time.
I also can now share the finished photos of Toni Brenker from PA's quilts... she has received them now. One is the Orange Crush and the other is the Double Delight quilt from Quiltville. com .
We are preparing for our children to come for a visit over the 4th. Of course, we wanted to have someplace to cool off..so last year at the end of the season we purchased a large pool..... and tried to set it up this week...only to find out that the ground needs to be way more level than our back yard is.... a dilemma...it capsized... ( I wish I would have had a photo of that one!) So undaunted we went back to the store to see if there was a slightly smaller one... well we didn't find one that would work...or that wouldn't break the bank...so back home...and after much swearing and gnashing of teeth...we decided to go redneck!!! It is only temporary...( or will it be????) but here it is...... set up on the only level area we have.... ON the CARPORT! I know.... now I am thinking of hanging some mosquito curtaining..... along the front just to give us a little privacy while the kids are here.... I really don't want to expose my bits and pieces to the neighbors either!!!!! But it will be wet for the grands when they come. Until we sort something else out.
a

5 comments:

Jane said...

I am sure they will love it, kids aren't fussy. Your ladies made a wonderful job of those quilts, they will mean so mcuh

Needled Mom said...

It was such a delightful read about the quilters. And...those completed quilts....GORGEOUS! I love the secondary pattern with the circular quilting.

A carport pool is probably much better for sun exposure too!!! Just think of saving the grandchildren's skin for their future. It works for me.

Micki said...

I can see you miss your friends, Believe me, I know the feeling. Enjoy the visit from your kids. The quilts are gorgeous!
Micki

Karan said...

Those quilts are gorgeous & they sound a fabulous group of ladies. The grands are going to have so much fun in that pool - enjoy! :0)

Libby said...

Necessity is the mother of invention . . . . I think you found the perfect solution. Have a great time with the kiddos *s*