Music


Locations of Site Visitors
Life has definitely taken me to places I never thought I would go to....but nothing more exciting than where I am right now! Welcome to my world...


Saturday, October 25, 2008

Pictures from South Africa..... some things I miss and some I don't .....



















I am about to head out for a quick trip to see grandbabies this next week. So not done much, did finish another customer quilt, but forgot to take a photo. I will when she shows at quilt guild in December. But have to share some photos I just went through from South Africa. Can you tell by the photo that this was taken during a power outage time of year, they charge for parking with electronic ticket and arms.But just in case..the guys at the mall, have to sit there to take money or give tickets...or maybe this was for them to take the ticket out of the machine and hand it to you? I can't remember. When they switched over to having you validate the tickets at a machine inside the mall...you should have seen the back up in lines! People holding up traffic, as they exited their cars, ran back inside the mall, and validated their little cards! You have to kind of miss all of that!This next photo is of a traffic jam, caused by the Limiters they put on their big trucks (18 wheelers) as in they often can not go more than 15 miles per hour up a hill....on a winding 2 lane National highway! So it makes for interesting road trips....and opportunities to spot the baboons by the side of the road!Or as in the case of the photo of the initiation hut...very close to the side of the road as in this photo.
Or one of the many "street merchants" who used their skills...I think this was a shoe repairman, one of many hundreds on any given day in downtown Queenstown. I used to walk by them on my way to the fabric shop! They carried all of their goods in those big, plastic zip bags. We called them trolley bags, I do have a couple of them here I must admit, they came in handy storing Quilts and winter things. I do not miss the queues at all. Like the ones inside the post office, notice the ladies in their home sewn clithing. I do miss that. They always looked so colorful. I don't miss the lockup electric entrances to the Post office of all places.

Sorry for the Blurry pic but you can see a lot of people waiting in Post office, and this isn't usually this short. It is usually out the door! I must admit everytime I send off a package, I don't miss the lines. Our post office is SO EFFICIENT!!!! It is something I will probably never take for granted.
But the way that they get around may be the thing that made me smile the most. I wish I had a dollar every time I saw a truckload overflowing with passengers....I think I could bail out Wallstreet!I hope you all have a great couple of days until I am back in Mississippi.

6 comments:

Lorraine said...

Hope you have a wonderful trip visiting with the grandbabies.....I don't see mine often enough and am looking forward to visitin them soon.....!Enjoyed the pics of South Africa....does all that waiting make people more patient? I think we are used to not having to wait for anything much and when we do .....we aren't very patient!

squawmama said...

Great story and pictures... I really enjoyed seeing them and hearing about your day...

(((HUGS)))
Donna

Margaret said...

I think waiting must make you more patient and able to tolerate more, I have noticed that with newcomers from African countries to Geelong.

Ruth's Place said...

I LOATHE the post office! The electronic doors seem to depend on where the post office is located, we have one that has the doors near us, and another one down the road that is 'normal'.

You forgot to mention the bank queues that go around the block on pay day! I always take a book or knitting to the bank, otherwise I'll end up stabbing someone in the eye with a pen. Mind you, I'm now pleased when a transaction takes 'only' 40 minutes...

That being said, it is a wonderful country, and I wouldn't miss this experience for the world.

Looking at your pictures, I guess you wouldn't either :)

jovaliquilts said...

It was interesting to see the photos. Wherever I go, I usually end up in a post office and it's interesting to see the similarities AND the differences.

Terrie's Lil' Piece of Serenity said...

WOW!! Your blog is so imteresting. I love reading it!! Thanks for sharing!!